Thursday, July 16

Movie Magic




Yesterday was a great day! It was the first day of a 6 day vacation from the drudgery of the workplace and the arrival day of Only Child's internet friend from Iowa. The highlight of the day was attending the opening night of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.

The record-breaking midnight showings ($22 million) was impressive but more of an indication of fan excitement rather than quality.

Being an avid fan of all things Potter, we had been waiting a long time for this movie.... and it was worth the wait. Inititially, I was worried about the fact that David Yates was going to direct the remaining movies, as I felt that the 5th installment was the weakest of the lot. I was happily surprised to find this installment to be as great an adaptation as the Prisoner of Azkaban.

It was a nice mix of teen-age romantic comedy, drama and tragedy. The young stars have grown into fine actors and gave outstanding performances, but I felt that the best performances were by Gambon, Rickman and Broadbent.

Even as a fan of the books, I found all of the changes worked well and was not too annoyed with the loss of the big aurors vs. deatheaters battle and funeral.

I would urge everyone to go see it, but I don't think anyone will need my seal of approval.

No comments: