Thursday, August 6

Don't You... Forget About Him



John Hughes, dead at 59. Wow. That really knocks the wind out of me. The man and his movies (either written or directed or both) helped make the 80's what they were. My love for the 80's is a great one. The music and the movies of that era are some of my favorites, and I owe a great thanks to John Hughes for a lot of that entertainment.

Mr. Mom, Vacation, 16 Candles, The Breakfast Club, Weird Science, Pretty In Pink, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Some Kind of Wonderful, Planes, Trains & Automobiles, She's Having a Baby, The Great Outdoors, Uncle Buck, Career Opportunities and Dutch are some of my favorite movies from this unbelievably talented man. Oh, yeah, he made quite a few crappy movies too; but with the number of arguably classic ones included in the above list, those can be overlooked. No one gets it right every time.

If he had only done Breakfast Club and Ferris Bueller's Day Off, that would been more than enough to make him a film legend.

No one gets it right every time.

He certainly got right enough times. Thank you, Mr. Hughes.

My sincerest condolences to his family, friends and many, many fans.

No comments: